Become a part of campus life at Minneapolis College! If you want to join a current club or activity or start your own, please review the list of current student clubs below and/or look at the steps below on how to start your own club. You can also email Student Life or contact us at 612-659-6761 with any questions or concerns.
How to Form a Student Club
New student clubs and organizations at Minneapolis College must be approved by the Student Senate. The Student Senate has the exclusive right to recommend the chartering of clubs and organizations for approval by the College President. Please see Student Senate in H.2903 or Student life Staff on the second floor of the Helland Center if you have questions about the process for chartering a new club.
To create a recognized student club, you will need to follow these steps:
- Fill out the Club Charter Form.
- Have each member, including the President of the club, fill out the Club Member Application form. Each member must fill out an online form and agree to the club/organization expectations, responsibilities and membership policies.
- Politely ask a faculty (or staff member) to advise your club. Student Senate and Student Life can help you identify good candidates to be your club's advisor.
- Create a Governing Document and Club Budget Outline for your club.
- Once your club has submitted the Club Charter Form, the Club Membership Application forms for at least 4 members (including yourself) and have found a club advisor, contact the Student Life department to let them know you are ready to move forward in the club application process.
- Student Life staff will review the Club Charter and Club Member Application forms and pass this information onto the Student Senate Executive Board for review. After this is complete, you will meet with Student Life staff to discuss your club. Please bring your Governing Document & Club Budget Outline to this meeting.
- Attend three Senate meetings (Thursdays from 3-4pm via Zoom). If your club charter application is incomplete or if you need to find an advisor, please do so before the third meeting when the club will be voted on for charter (officially recognized as an active club).
- Once chartered:
- Schedule a meeting with the Student Life Budget Committee (SLBC) to review your budget request previously discussed with Student Life staff. Clubs must be charted for at least one full semester before they can request funds for travel / plan a fair / festival-type event. You can schedule a meeting with the SLBC by contacting the Senate Director of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend Senate General Assembly meetings throughout the semester.
**For Honor Societies: No Honor Societies may induct members without first being a recognized club.
**If the club application is denied, the students may submit an appeal in writing to the Student Activities Coordinator and a final decision will be made by the Director of Student Life within two weeks of the appeal being submitted.
If you have any questions during this process, please feel free to stop by the Student Life Information Desk (2nd floor of Helland Center), contact Student Life or by the Student Life staff offices and we can help!