Accounting Transfer Pathway, A.S.
The Accounting Transfer Pathway A.S. offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Science degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Accounting bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities*.
The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the 7 Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
The Accounting Transfer Pathway coursework will include the full-cycle of accounting, financial and managerial accounting, spreadsheets for accounting using Excel, and a capstone project. It also includes several Business Management courses. The courses in this program are delivered in the classroom and/or online. The student must complete 30 credits of general education and 30 credits of program courses to complete the A.S. Accounting Transfer Pathway degree.
*This transfer pathway in Associate of Science in Accounting will transfer to the following majors:
- Bemidji State University: Accounting, B.S.
- Metropolitan State University: Accounting, B.S.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Accounting, B.S.
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Accounting, B.S.
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Accounting, B.S.
- St. Cloud State University: Accounting, B.S.
- Winona State University: Accounting, B.S.
Accounting Certificate & Diploma
Minneapolis College's Accounting programs will prepare you to use software to document original transactions and maintain records such as bank accounts, merchandise inventories, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll for various organizations.
- Accounting Diploma
- Accounts Payable/Receivable
If you have been planning to attain your 2-year degree or a certificate in accounting, learn about accounting or its software, or transfer to a 4-year university, you have come to the right place. We have great courses and instructors.
- Instructors with real world expertise in business and industry lead classes and teach you practical approaches to accounting, encouraging you to work in teams, similar to those formed in the work place.
- You’ll gain in-demand professional skills using the latest technology, giving you an edge-up in the field.
- Minneapolis College’s Accounting Program offers a flexible schedule, allowing you to choose courses during the day and at night. Some courses are offered online, providing a convenient scheduling option.
Minneapolis College's Accounting awards give you the skills you need to enter a field where you will always be in demand. Whether you plan on pursuing your associate's degree or the Accounting Diploma or the Accounts Payable/Receivable certificate credentials, you will get training that will help launch you into a rewarding career in accounting or help springboard you into the business world.
- Most courses range from 24 to 30 students. Instructors are able to devote their time to student needs.
- Courses during the day, at night, fully-online, and also blended/hybrid.
- Understand and comply with income tax law and payroll tax law.
- Interpret, analyze, and communicate managerial information for decision-making purposes.
- Create financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Understand and apply the appropriate application of computer technology to complete accounting functions.
- Apply the conceptual framework of accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, the code of ethics and current laws pertaining to accounting.
- You will learn to use software to document original transactions and maintain records.
- You’ll gain an understanding of the principles of accounting, business communication, problem solving and accounting math.
- You’ll build key job skills in journal entry preparation, financial statement preparation, computerized accounting systems using QuickBooks software, electronic spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel and 10-key operation by touch.
Minneapolis College’s proximity to downtown Minneapolis offers a wealth of internships that students can apply for with local businesses and corporations.
Employment for Accountants is expected to grow by 22 percent by the year 2018, much faster than average employment growth, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. With an increase in the number of businesses, changing financial laws and corporate governance regulations, accountants will be in high demand, especially those with certification.
Potential Job Titles
- Accounting technician
- Accounting clerk
- Accounting analyst
- Accounts payable/receivable clerk
- Payroll accounting clerk
- Administrative Assistant
Where You Could Work
- Small and medium-sized businesses
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Accounting firms
- Tax-preparation services
- Temp agencies