Visas for International Students


If you are not a U.S. citizen or immigrant, you will need a non-immigrant or student visa to study at Minneapolis College.


Non-immigrant Visas

The following non-immigrant visas qualify you to study here: H-1, H-3, H-4, J-1 (au pair), K-1 or R1. Send a copy of your visa to iss@minneapolis.edu after you apply online. If you do not have one of the above non-immigrant visas, you may want to apply for an F-1 student visa. Applicants with a Tourist/B-visa commonly apply as a “new” international student or apply to change their status to F-1.

F-1 or Student Visa

The F-1 or student visa is the most common visa for students who want to study in the United States.

International students admitted to Minneapolis College will be issued an I-20 through the Student and Exchange visitor Program (SEVP). Once an international student has received their I-20, they can apply for the F-1 student visa through the nearest U.S. embassy.

If you are an international student transferring from another U.S. college or university, your I-20 will be issued once you have been admitted and your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) has been released to Minneapolis College.

Financial Requirement

Only international applicants requesting the F-1 student visa (or transferring their student visa status from another college) are required to meet the following financial requirement.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires that Minneapolis College maintain records demonstrating that applicants have sufficient funds to meet all educational and personal expenses.

Applicants must fill out all the information on the Financial Certification Statement form before Minneapolis College will issue an I-20. The form and accompanying documentation they have at least the amount necessary to cover tuition, fees and living expenses for their first academic year (12 months). Applicants planning to bring their spouse or other dependents with them to the United States must certify that they have the additional amount necessary to cover those costs.

The form must be current within the last 12 months of expected date of enrollment.

Studying Under an F-1 Visa

You are required to:

  • Be a full-time student in an associate’s level degree program. Diplomas and Certificates are not eligible for F-1 students on their own, but can be added to an associate’s degree.

  • Take at least 12 credits per semester and register for only one online class within the first 12 credits. If not, you risk penalties by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services including deportation. Should you need to drop below 12 credits, contact the International Student Advisor.

  • Take courses other than English as a Second Language (ESL). Many students take ESL courses to prepare them for success in their chosen associate’s degree.