Welding and Metal Fabrication
Play this video with descriptive audio.
Long considered an art form, metalworking is a hands-on creative learning experience where you solve problems with your mind and body. Minneapolis College's Welding and Metal Fabrication program provides you with the technical knowledge and hands-on skills needed to gain entry-level employment in manufacturing, construction and various other industries.
- This is a short-term, flexible program––you can earn your 30-credit welding certificate in just one year by taking either day or evening classes!
- Small class sizes provide lots of one-on-on attention from instructors and hands-on learning experiences.
- Minneapolis College's Welding and Metal Fabrication program is an excellent stepping-stone for further education in the manufacturing and engineering fields with the capacity for advancement.
- Welder certifications are available to students in multiple processes to American Welding Society Standards.
- Students participate in Behind the Mask and Skills USA welding competitions each year.
- American Welding Society scholarships are available.
- The program encourages creativity; you plan and fabricate your own projects for course credit.
Award Requirements and Course Descriptions & Outlines
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Perform welder qualification tests to industry standards.
- Understand and safely utilize arc welding equipment and be able to perform SMAW, GMAW-S, GMAW-Spray transfer and GMAW-P, FCAW-S, FCAW-G and GTAW to industry standards.
- Understand and safely utilize manual and automated shop fabrication equipment and be able to use tools and equipment to fabricate parts.
- Interpret blueprints and welding symbols.
- Perform basic math and geometry, understand measurement fundamentals and be able to read measuring instruments including tape measures, machinists rule, caliper, squares and micrometers.
- Understand safety related to Oxy/Acetylene equipment and be able to perform BW and OFC-A and PAC.