Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
No matter how bad the economy gets, homeowners and businesses always need technicians trained in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR). Minneapolis College provides hands-on learning to prepare you for a high paying career in HVACR. Knowledgeable instructors will give you the training you need in an industry that is challenging and fun.
- Minneapolis College's HVACR program recently received the highest-level accreditation from HVAC Excellence- one of only 3 programs in the state to receive this status.
- Minneapolis College's HVACR program is active in Skills USA and has had many state winners in the HVACR competition and one National winner.
- Minneapolis College has a Solar Energy training lab used for Photovoltaic and Thermal solar energy system training in both the HVACR and Construction Electricity programs.
- Minneapolis College's training lab also has a state-of-the-art Indoor Air Quality and ventilation-training house located within the HVACR lab.
- You will receive classroom and hands-on instruction from certified instructors in the most advanced HVACR training lab in Minnesota, which continually updates equipment and curriculum to reflect industry changes.
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- Minneapolis College's Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Program will train you to diagnose problems, perform repairs and conduct maintenance on residential and commercial heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) systems.
- You will learn diagnostic and repair procedures for HVACR equipment, and will be trained to fabricate sheet metal, copper, plastic and steel piping.
- Experienced instructors will prepare you to work with advanced electrical controls, heat recovery ventilators, air cleaning devices, sophisticated air measurement equipment and carbon monoxide testing instruments.
- You will receive solar energy training in Photovoltaics and Thermal Solar technologies.
While in this program, you will have an opportunity to join Sills/USA VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America) a student and alumni association that promotes professional advancement for students in trade, industrial, technical and health education programs by fostering networks among students, alumni, community and local industry.
The Minneapolis College Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration curriculum is designed to help prepare students to sit for the professional licensure exam for Minnesota. At this time, Minneapolis College is unable to make a determination if the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration program meets the licensing requirement for any state or US protectorate besides Minnesota. You will want to contact the licensing board in which state you intend to pursue licensure for their requirements.
If you have further questions about licensure for Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, please feel free to reach out to Heidi Aldes, and they will be happy to help you.
For more information on licensure outside of Minnesota, please contact the licensing board in the state you would like to practice.
People entering the HVACR industry are in very high demand, so pay and benefits are excellent. In Minnesota, employment opportunities are expected to increase by 16.2 percent by the year 2019, according to iseek.org. Often companies in this industry provide medical and dental insurance, retirement, paid vacation and sick time, paid advanced training and opportunities to earn overtime pay, and provide a company vehicle.
Potential Job Titles
- HVAC Service Technician
- Commercial Refrigeration Service Technician
- HVAC Equipment and Parts Salesperson
- Indoor Air Quality Specialist
- HVACR Building Maintenance Specialist
Where You Could Work
- HVAC residential service companies
- HVACR commercial service companies
- Gas utilities
- Commercial buildings (HVAC maintenance)
- HVACR equipment sales companies