Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instruction
Minneapolis College’s personal trainer and group exercise instruction program prepares graduates to work in the dynamic field of health and fitness. As an educational partner with the American Council on Exercise (ACE), this program will provide you with the knowledge, skills and practical experience to be a qualified, motivated fitness trainer and prepare you for the dynamic employment opportunities in this growing field.
- You will gain transformative knowledge in the latest in health and fitness
- Employers prefer to hire personal trainers and exercise instructors that have certification
- You will learn the tools necessary to jump start a career in personal training and exercise instruction
- We are an educational partner with the American Council on Exercise (ACE), the leading nonprofit exercise professional and health coach certification organization
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- Analyze personal attitudes and belief systems about ones body, mind and spirit and articulates their role in the context of community.
- Assess one's current state of health and apply strategies to restore balance to one's health.
- Design and implement behavior modification plans to achieve wellness goals.
- Effectively demonstrate appropriate body mechanics in physical activities and safety techniques.
- You will learn the process and skills to design and implement exercise programs.
- You will learn strategies to teach clients proper technique to support clients in developing healthy behaviors.
- you will also learn the process and techniques to design and instruct group exercise classes.
You will gain practical experience in our fitness center by working with the Minneapolis College community.
Successful completion of the Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instruction program at Minneapolis College will meet the educational requirements to sit for the ACE certification exam. Minneapolis College is required to identify if our degree meets the educational requirements outside of Minnesota. More information can be found by visiting the Licensure/Certifications Disclosures webpage.
If you have further questions about certification for Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instruction, please feel free to reach out to Heidi Aldes, Dean of Enrollment Management.
Personal trainer, fitness trainer, and exercise instructor careers are projected to grow 13 percent from 2018 to 2028 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. This growth is much faster than the average for all occupations. As many organizations including businesses, government, and insurance providers continue to promote the benefits of health and fitness for their employees, incentives to join gyms or other types of health clubs are expected to increase the need for personal trainers, fitness trainers, and exercise instructors.
Potential Job Titles
- Personal trainer
- Group exercise instructor
- Fitness Instructor
- Fitness Coach
- Health Fitness Assistant
- Corporate Fitness Instructor
- Sports Performance Coach
Where You Could Work
- Health clubs
- Fitness facilities
- Yoga studios
- Corporate wellness centers
- Community education
- Senior living facilities
- Clinics, hospitals or treatment centers