Play this video with descriptive audio.
Dental Assistant Core:
The Dental Assistant Core Certificate is a one-semester program that will introduce you to the opportunities within the Dental Field and successful completion of this coursework is required for admission to the Dental Assistant program. The Dental Assistant Core courses will prepare you to provide support to other credentialed dental professionals. This program provides a beginning education to safely work within a dental setting. You will be introduced to common dental terms, equipment, infection control policies and procedures, and related office procedures. You will be prepared to work in a dental setting in a supportive role or continue into the Dental Assistant diploma program.
Dental Assistant Diploma and Associate of Applied Science:
The Dental Assistant program will provide the foundation and skills to work with the dentist, dental team, and patients, providing a variety of patient cares, assist within the business office and/or complete laboratory duties.
Coursework includes an introduction to the dental field, basic and dental sciences, dental materials, chair side assisting, radiology, Minnesota expanded functions and clinical experience. The goal is to ensure you will be an indispensable member of a dental health team.
Classroom, pre-clinical and clinical experiences will prepare you to take the Certification Examination offered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and the Licensure and Jurisprudence Examinations offered by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry
- The Dental Assistant Core certificate is the only entry into the dental assistant career field—and the only program of its kind in Minnesota.
- The program’s classroom, preclinical and clinical experiences prepare students to take the Certification Examination offered by the Dental Assisting National Board and the Licensure Examination offered by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
The program in dental assisting is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: https://www.ada.org/en/coda
The dental assistant program is approved by the MN Board of Dentistry. The Board can be contacted at (612) 617-2250 or at 2829 University Ave SE Suite 450, Minneapolis MN 55414. The Board's web address is: email@example.com.
Award Requirements and Course Descriptions & Outlines
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Understand the fundamentals of the dental field.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to perform the MN expanded functions.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to expose and evaluate diagnostically acceptable radiographs.
- Demonstrate a knowledge base and skills in chairside procedures.