The Communication Studies Transfer Pathway A.A. offers students a powerful option: The opportunity to complete an Associate of Arts degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Communication Studies *bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities*.
The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the 7 Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
Communication Studies majors demonstrate effectiveness in their public speaking, intercultural, interpersonal and small group communication skills with the goal to develop relevant and practical communication abilities in personal and professional contexts.
*This transfer pathway in Associate of Arts in Communication Studies will transfer to the following majors:
- Metropolitan State University: Professional Communication, B.A.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Communication Studies, B.S.
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Communication Studies, B.A.
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Communication Studies, B.A. or Communication Studies, B.A. (Public Relations Emphasis)
- St. Cloud State University: Communication Studies, B.A. or Communication Studies Supplementary, B.A .or Communication Studies Interdepartmental, B.S.
- Winona State University: Communication Studies, B.A. (General, Leadership and Advocacy, Organizational)
- Our diverse student population at Minneapolis College provides opportunities to learn about the many approaches and areas of study within communication studies while immersed in intercultural contexts.
- Courses in Communication Studies are often discussion-based, along with assignments, coursework and activities to illustrate competence in areas such as public speaking, interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, small group communication, as well as others.
- Our faculty are experts the field of Communication Studies with Master’s Degrees and many with Doctoral Degrees.
- You will learn effective public speaking, interpersonal communication, argumentation and advocacy.
- Students will also have the option to take courses in environmental communication, communication and gender, small group communication, intercultural communication and introduction to mass communication.
- You may choose to join the Communication Club which builds community among Communication Studies students.
- If you have at least a 3.0 overall GPA in Communication Studies, and a 2.5 GPA overall, you may be invited to join the Communication Studies honor society Sigma Pi Eta.
The A.A. in Communication Studies program will provide a solid foundation on which you can continue onto a four-year institution with a variety of major options. This degree will enhance any area of study and partners exceptionally well with degrees in communication, public relations, advertising, marketing, business, law and education.
Potential Job Titles
- Account Manager
- Advertising Specialist
- Sales Representative
- News Writer
- Social Worker
- Human Rights Officer
Where You Could Work
- Graduates often pursue careers in advertising, marketing, media, public relations, communication education, journalism, theater and performance arts, social and human services, government, politics, social science and humanities.
- Effective communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills have been identified by CEOs as the most desirable attributes of employees.
- Communication Studies curriculum is excellent preparation for further studies in a variety of fields.