The Associate of Arts with Emphasis in Music program provides a foundation in the creative, technical and academic aspects of music. This pathway is a great choice for students interested in a career in music, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music or completing their transfer curriculum.
- Our faculty members are award-winning practicing artists and experienced instructors with advanced degrees in music and real-world experience in the music business at the local and national level.
- Our campus is located in the heart of Minneapolis’s vibrant music community with easy access to major performance venues and music organizations such as Orchestra Hall, The Walker Art Center, First Avenue, the Dakota Jazz Club and more.
- Our program’s smaller size fosters faculty and student interaction and creates a more personal learning experience.
- Minneapolis College’s diverse student population is reflected in our global and multicultural approach to the study of music.
- Minneapolis College’s music students are frequently active participants in the metro area’s many professional and non-professional musical ensembles.
- Articulate an awareness of the relationships among music, history and culture, which inform diverse musical tastes and practice
- Make informed judgments regarding musical events (aesthetics, reading music, notation, composition and theory)
- Demonstrate analytical and critical listening skills.
- Describe musical events using appropriate terminology.
- Demonstrate artistry and technical proficiency on their instrument.
- Explain the use of musical elements within the context of specific genres and styles.