Personnel Records Access
Part 1. Policy Statement
The purpose of this policy is to:
- Guarantee that all personnel file information is consistently maintained in accordance with current personnel practices and applicable state and federal laws;
- To make certain that employee personnel file data is properly safeguarded and protected; and
- To provide for employee and management access to the data maintained in personnel files in a logical and systematic fashion.
Part 2. Responsibility
- Every employee is permitted to gain access to the records maintained by the college's human resources department, which contain personal data regarding that employee. These records may be reviewed only in the presence of a designated human resources official.
- In order to make corrections on a personnel record file, the employee must first submit a formal request in writing to the human resources department.
- If the request for a correction is turned down, the employee can then request that his or her statement of disagreement with the personnel file be placed within the file. That statement of disagreement is to be a permanent part of information in the personnel file.
Part 3. Management Access to Personnel Files
Management will be allowed access to these files strictly on a need-to-know basis. Of that access, only information regarding an individuals job performance and skill qualifications will be open for review.
Part 4. External Requests for Personnel File Information
Any external source (i.e. individuals or corporations outside the college or Minnesota State) that requests information from an employees personnel file must first receive written authorization from the employee before any data is released.
The only exception to this policy is verification of employment requests about active employees.
Date of Adoption: 7/1/1999
Date of Implementation (if different from from adoption date):
Date of Last Review: 7/1/1999
Date and Subject of Revisions: