Academic Program Review
Part 1. Purpose
Minnesota State Board Policy 3.36 “Academic Programs” requires that institutions shall regularly review their academic programs for the purpose of academic planning and improvement. Program reviews at Minneapolis College consist of two parts: 1) an annual evaluation of academic offerings and 2) an annual review of program learning outcomes (PLOs) by academic programs.
Part 2. Definitions
Academic Award: Defined in College Policy 3.03
Department: A department has a subject/discipline focus that offers courses but does not offer an academic award.
Program: A program is a department (or collection of departments) that offers courses and one or more academic awards.
Program Learning Outcomes: Outcomes that capture the most important concepts, pieces of knowledge, skills, and dispositions recognized and elevated by the faculty as those which students must master to be successful (in the field of study, on the job, in life).
Program Review: An annual process that consists of an administrative evaluation of academic offerings review and a faculty lead program learning outcome (PLO) assessment.
Part 3. Evaluation of Academic Offerings
Academic Affairs shall evaluate all academic programs and departments annually during the spring semester. Multiple areas will be reviewed as part of the Evaluation of Academic
Offerings process that will include, but is not limited to:
- Enrollments, Course Success, and Efficiency (by subject)
- Subject enrollment (Full Year Equivalent (FYE)) and three-year change
- Course saturation
- Course Success Rate
- Visiting Student Enrollment
- Enrollment/Success by Course Modality
- Student Outcomes (by award)
- Number of students majoring in the program
- 1-year retention rates by academic award
- Number of credentials/awards awarded for the last 3 years
- Default rate/average debt load of students by program
- Median Wage After 2 years.
- Program Learning Outcome Assessment
- Minnesota State Program/Department Comparison Data
- Approximate Cost Per FYE vs other similar programs in the Minnesota State system
- Program capacity and student share as compared to other Minnesota State institutions
- Course transferability for general education courses will be examined to determine if courses transfer:
- As an equivalent course offering
- As a substitute for a program requirement
- Fulfills a general education requirement, or
- Does not transfer as a specific equivalent or general education requirement
Academic deans will evaluate programs annually in the spring and notify programs if any action is needed.
Part 4. Program Learning Outcome (PLO) Assessment
Academic Programs at Minneapolis College are required to assess their program learning outcomes (PLO) annually. Each academic year Academic Affairs will create a shell for program faculty to enter their program learning outcome assessment information. Examples of the kinds of information that will be collected include, but are not limited to the following:
- Program Learning Outcome(s) Being Assessed
- Desired Result
- Tracking of Data
Academic deans will evaluate program assessments during the summer session annually and provide feedback to programs in the fall term.
Part 5. Curriculum Review Cycle
Minneapolis College Policy 3.24 and Procedure 3.24.01 establishes a standardized comprehensive review process of all of the College’s curricular offerings on a regular cycle. The policy is designed to ensure curricular cohesiveness, quality, and relevancy of the curricular offerings to meet the student’s educational outcomes. The curriculum review process is facilitated by the Academic Affairs and Standards Council.
Part 6. Academic Program Review Data
Minneapolis College shall provide faculty and the college community with a series of academic program review reports to continually assess enrollment trends, course success, degree conferral data, and retention data by course and major. Additionally, faculty will have access to individual course success and equity gap data.
Owner(s) Title: Vice President of Academic Affairs
Date of Adoption: 10/12/2006
Date of Implementation (if different from adoption date): N/A
Date Last Amended: 5/19/2022
History and Subject of Revisions: 5/19/2022 (comprehensive review: establishing evaluation of academic offerings process, PLO Assessment Process, and Curriculum Review Cycle, added definitions.)
Regulatory Authority (e.g. Minnesota State policy, federal or state law): Minnesota State Board Policy 3.36