Policy and Procedure Development and Review
Part 1. Purpose
This procedure identifies how new policies and procedures are proposed and existing procedures and policies are reviewed.
Part 2. New Policy and Procedure Development Procedure
Any College employee or student can suggest a new policy or procedure. New policies and procedures are reviewed and approved in the following manner:
- Employees and students at Minneapolis College may propose a policy or procedure by either providing a statement identifying a need for a new policy or providing a draft policy with a statement explaining the need and reasoning, to President’s Council. President’s Council members may propose new policies or procedures by bringing a draft of the proposed policy or procedure to the rest of President’s Council for initial consideration.
- President’s Council will identify a Policy/Procedure Owner(s) for the proposed policy or procedure if one is not already identified. The Policy/Procedure Owner(s) will identify Content Expert(s).
- The Policy/Procedure Owner(s) and Content Expert(s) will use the comprehensive review checklist to ensure all important elements of a policy have been weighed in the creation of the policy including, but not limited to: reflects current business practices, relevant laws and regulations, equity and inclusion factors, and proper structure.
- The Policy/Procedure Owner and Content Expert may consult with internal stakeholders and external agencies (e.g., Minnesota State System Office staff, Attorney General) to assist with review, research and writing of the policy or procedure.
- When President’s Council determines the policy or procedure proposal is in final draft form, they shall approve dissemination of the draft policy or procedure to bargaining unit leaders, employees and, when policies or procedures affect students, Student Senate for review and comment.
- The Policy/Procedure Owner and Content Expert shall incorporate suggested revisions into the draft as appropriate considering feedback from stakeholders. The President’s Council may also suggest revisions. The policy or procedure will be revised with the President’s Council until it is final.
- The President’s Council is responsible for approving the final version of the policy or procedure. Approval of new policies and procedures by President’s Council requires a simple majority. Upon approval by President’s Council, the President provides final approval for all policies and procedures. The approval of President’s Council and the College President must be documented in writing, such as in President’s Council meeting minutes. Policies and procedures become effective when approved by the President, unless otherwise indicated by President’s Council or College President when approved, or within the text of the policy or procedure.
Part 3. Existing Policy and Procedure Revision Procedure
The President’s Council is responsible for assigning Policy/Procedure Owner(s) and a Content Expert(s) to each existing policy and procedure. The Policy/Procedure Owner and a Content Expert may be the same individual. Every policy and procedure will be reviewed on a cycle. Policy and procedure review process will include:
- A two-tiered process: All policies and procedures will have a comprehensive review every six years conducted by the respective Owner(s) and Content Expert(s). The comprehensive review occurs during the first year of the policy and its respective procedures’ review cycle. The comprehensive review is more thorough, and will address items including, but not limited to: reflects current business practices, relevant laws and regulations, equity and inclusion factors, and proper structure. On the third year of each policy and procedure’s review cycle, a limited review will be conducted to ensure the policy or procedure is still current. Each tier of review will have its own checklist to guide the review.
- The Office of Institutional Effectiveness will facilitate the policy and procedure review process.
- Policy and Procedure Review Manual: A Policy and Procedure Review Manual will detail the review and revision process. This manual will be maintained by the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
- The College community will be notified which policies and procedures are to be reviewed comprehensively in September of the fiscal year.
- The Owner(s) and Content Expert(s) will complete all needed steps of review by the specified deadlines as detailed in the Policy and Procedure Review Manual.
- The opportunity for review, comment, and feedback by the College community will be provided as part of the comprehensive review process. This feedback and comments will be reviewed by Owner(s) and Content Expert(s) as part of the comprehensive review.
- As part of a comprehensive review, the Owner(s) and Content Expert(s) may consult with internal key stakeholders and external agencies (e.g., Minnesota State System Office staff, Attorney General) to assist with review, research, and revision of the policy or procedure.
- For policies and procedures with revisions, the Owner submits the final revised policy or procedure to President’s Council and the College President for review and approval.
- The President’s Council is responsible for approving the final revised draft of the policy or procedure. A vote with a simple majority of President’s Council in favor of the revisions is required to approve the revisions. They then must be approved by the President. Revisions become effective when approved by the President.
Expedited Review, Approval, and Communication Process
Under certain circumstances, a policy or procedure may require changes to ensure compliance with Minnesota State requirements or adherence to federal or state law. On these occasions, the President’s Council shall seek input from content experts, bargaining units and the College community to the extent possible in a shortened time frame.
Final drafts that include suggested revisions as determined appropriate by the content owner shall be presented to the President’s Council for final recommendation. The President will provide final approval. Policies and procedures become effective when approved by the President.
The campus community shall be notified of the change and the expedited policy or procedure will go through the standard process described above at the first available opportunity. More details about the expedited review process can be found in the Policy and Procedure Review Manual.
Owner(s) Title: Associate Vice President of Academic Operations and Institutional Effectiveness
Date of Adoption: 7/1/2017
Date of Implementation (if different from adoption date): 7/1/2017
Date Last Amended: 4/1/2021 (Comprehensive)
History and Subject of Revisions: 8/30/2023 (Updated review cycle length and cadence), 4/1/2021 (Comprehensive review, revised policy/procedure revision process, incorporating the 2-tiered system and equity and inclusion requirements into comprehensive review tier.), 7/1/2017
Regulatory Authority (e.g. Minnesota State policy, federal or state law): Minnesota State Board of Trustees Policy 1A.1 and Procedure 1A.2.2