Premiere Literary Events Hosted by Write Like Us
Write Like Us participating community colleges (Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Century College, Minneapolis College, Normandale Community College, and North Hennepin Community College) are hosting the following free and open to the public, literary events spotlighting celebrated BIPOC authors and literary professionals.
Don’t miss these noteworthy events:
- January 24, 2023, 6:30 p.m.:
- Shannon Gibney at Minneapolis College, F-1200, Theater – Minneapolis College faculty member and author Shannon Gibney launches her new speculative memoir, The Girl I Was, Am, and Never Will Be.LM Brimmer will interview the author.
- April 4, 2023, 2:00 p.m.:
- Ross Gay at Anoka-Ramsey Community College – Celebrated poet and essayist Ross Gay reads from his newest essay collection, Inciting Joy.
- April 14, 2023, 12 p.m.:
- Literary Career Symposium at Normandale Community College – Five accomplished literary professionals working in publishing, literary nonprofit administration, and other literary fields share their career journey and expertise. Moderated by Michael Kleber-Diggs.
- April 27, 2023, 7:00 p.m.:
- Carmen Maria Machado at Minneapolis College – Award-winning author Carmen Maria Machado reads from her recent books.
As part of the Write Like Us program, some presenters will also appear at North Hennepin Community College and Century College for private events. Write Like Us features local BIPOC mentors LM Brimmer, Michael Kleber-Diggs, Nicola Koh, and Taiwana Shambley. Mentors work with five creative-writing student mentees from each campus throughout the academic year.
Write Like Us is funded by Thomson-Reuters and a Minnesota State Multi-Campus Collaboration grant in support of Minnesota State’s Equity 2030 goals. Minnesota State is a consortium of twenty-six state colleges and seven universities in Minnesota. Equity 2030 aims to close the educational equity gaps across race and ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and geographic location by the end of the decade at every Minnesota State college and university.