Internet Essentials Program
We know that many families depend on the Internet, whether at school or at home, so they can do homework, search for jobs, access financial or government services and much more. That is why we are excited to let you know that Minneapolis College has partnered with Comcast to offer free Internet Essentials service, if you are eligible and are approved.
- Students must be registered for at least one class in Fall and Spring semesters in order to remain eligible
- Students cannot have a mobile hotspot and a comcast internet code. Hotspots must be returned before being able to receive a code.
Your request will be reviewed for approval. Check your student email as all communications regarding the status and availability of internet codes will be sent to your student email. Emails about code requests will be sent out within 5 -7 business days.
Features of Internet Essentials Include:
- High-speed Internet service (50/5 Mbps)for \$9.95 + tax per month (Eligible students receive a code to waive the $9.95 for 10 months)
- No term contract
- No credit check
- Free self-installation kit
- The option to purchase an Internet ready computer for just $149.99 + tax
- Free online digital training classes and access to the Internet Essentials online Learning Center
- You must qualify for Internet Essentials service to be eligible for this sponsorship
- The promo code must be entered on the application in order to receive service at no cost to you for 10 months
- Comcast verifies the identity of all customers when opening a new account and offers options to make the process as easy and seamless as possible
- Provide name, address and Social Security number. Don’t worry if you don’t have a Social Security number or don’t want to share–this is optional.
- Provide name, address and mobile phone number. Instead of providing a Social Security number, you can verify your identity through SMS text messaging on your mobile phone.
- Provide documents confirming identity. Comcast accepts over 30 different documents, including a number of international documents (please see our website for the full list)
- Please visit InternetEssentials.com/get-help for a full list of acceptable IDs.
Internet Essentials Partnership Program is offered for \$9.95 a month with 50/5 mbps internet. With a promo code from the college, the student would not pay the $9.95 a month. The promo codes provide access for 10 months. Minneapolis College is sponsoring this offering by covering the costs for 10 months of service.
If you have any questions, please contact Technology Support at 612-659-6600 or technology.minneapolis.edu.
Lift Zones – Free public WiFi in select locations
Last year Comcast announced a multiyear program to launch more than 1,000 Lift Zones in community centers across the country. These complement the Internet Essentials program by offering students safe spaces they can go to enjoy free WiFi so they can participate in distance learning even if their schools are closed. Comcast set up 200 Lift Zones in 2020 and now they’re going to accelerate reaching 1,000 by the end of this year. This includes the more than 30 we have installed in the Twin Cities with more to come.
For more information about Internet Essentials and Comcast’s commitment to education and digital equity, visit https://corporate.comcast.com/education.