Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media
The Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media program provides the fundamentals for a career in Web design. You’ll gain technical and design skills using current industry-standard software and techniques, getting hands on training from experienced professional instructors who give you plenty of one-on-one attention.
Program start and location
Classes are held on MCTC’s downtown Minneapolis campus. You may begin the program in fall, spring and summer terms.
Degree options and requirements
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media A.A.S. Degree—66 credits
Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media Certificate—30 credits
Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media Core Certificate—18 credits
What you will learn
- The program prepares you to use to industry-standard software to create designed Web interactive and print design productions.
- Coursework is taught by experienced faculty members, and covers visual problem solving, art and design principles and production standards.
- You will learn how visual elements such as type, illustration, graphics, photography and animation combine to make effective designs, and also work under tight deadlines to design, compose and produce a well-rounded portfolio necessary for entry into the profession.
Points of pride
- You will receive hands-on instruction from instructors using a curriculum that reflects current industry standards and which also keeps pace with the continually evolving nature of the Web and interactive design field.
- We are the top-ranked Web and interactive media program in the MNSCU system.
- Students are part of a tight-knit community and build lasting relationships with each other.
- The program’s award-winning faculty members combine years of real-world professional experience with academic training.
Where you could work
Click here to read more...
- Advertising agencies
- Animation companies and studios
- Corporate creative departments
According to the Bureau of Labor Statics, Graphic Designers with Web site design and animation experience will be especially needed through 2018 as demand increases for design projects for interactive media—Web sites, mobile phones and other technology. Growth in Internet advertising, in particular, is expected to increase the number of designers.
- You will have an opportunity to do an internship in Web design, a supervised work experience that provides an important learning experience, as well as a useful link to the job market. You obtain an internship site that supports your special areas of interest and provides opportunities to interact with professionals in their working environment.
- You may choose to join The Design Associates of Minneapolis Community and Technical College (DAM) Club, an eclectic group of aspiring designers who recognize that a little collaboration can go a long way. The club is a student chapter of the Minnesota AIGA, the professional association for design and is open to students pursuing design degrees at MCTC, including Graphic Design Print, Web and Interactive Design, Photography and more.
This program is part of the Academy of Media and Technology. Click here for more information.
Common Course Outlines
Gainful employment reports
MCTC Alum and Adjunct Instructor Amplifies Downtown Voices
“I really don’t know what people are going to say,” Stephanie Glaros said. “That’s kind of the interesting part, and the part that is sort of a treasure hunt for me. It’s trying to find out what people think.”Read More
Manuel Castellanos Raboso, Adobe Scientist
Globetrotting MCTC Graphic Design alum makes the most of his time, energy and aspirations.Read More