If you have been planning to attain your two-year degree or a certificate in accounting, learn about accounting or its software, or transfer to a 4-year university, you have come to the right place. We have great courses and instructors.
MCTC's Accounting program gives you the skills you need to enter a field where you will always be in demand. Whether you plan on pursuing your associate's degree or one of three certificate credentials, you will get training that will help launch you into a rewarding career in accounting or help springboard you into the business world. Our AS in Accounting Program also transfers to several 4-year universities.
Program start and location
Students are accepted into this program during fall and spring semesters. Courses are taught on MCTC’s main campus.
Degree options and requirements
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
Accounting A.S. Degree
Accounting Clerk Certificate
Accounts Payable/Receivable Certificate
Payroll Accounting Certificate
- Accounting Technician A.A.S. Degree—60 credits
- Accounting Clerk Certificate—29 credits
- Accounts Payable/Receivable Certificate—16 credits
- Payroll Accounting Certificate—14 credits
- Courses range from 24 to 30 students. Instructors are able to devote their time to student needs.
- We offer courses during the day, at night, fully-online, and also blended/hybrid. 3. Click here for more details of the degree and certificates.
What you will learn
- You will learn to use software to document original transactions and maintain records.
- You’ll gain an understanding of the principles of accounting, business communication, problem solving and accounting math.
- You’ll build key job skills in journal entry preparation, financial statement preparation, computerized accounting systems using Peachtree and QuickBooks software, electronic spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel and 10-key operation by touch.
Points of pride
- Instructors with real world expertise in business and industry lead classes and teach you practical approaches to accountings, encouraging you to work in teams, similar to those formed in the work place.
- You’ll gain in-demand professional skills using the latest technology, giving you an edge-up in the field.
- MCTC’s Accounting Program offers a flexible schedule, allowing you to choose courses during the day and at night. Some courses are offered online, providing a convenient scheduling option.
Where you could work
Click here to read more...
- Small and medium-sized businesses
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
Potential job titles
Click here to read more...
- Accounting technician
- Accounting clerk
- Accounting analyst
Employment for Accountants is expected to grow by 22 percent by the year 2018, much faster than average employment growth, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. With an increase in the number of businesses, changing financial laws and corporate governance regulations, accountants will be in high demand, especially those with certification.
MCTC’s proximity to Downtown Minneapolis offers a wealth of internships that students can apply for with local businesses and corporations.
This program is part of the Academy of Business and Service. Click here for more information.
We are here for you! Email, call or stop by.
Jennifer Stauffer at Jennifer.email@example.com
Carroll Barnes at Carroll.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Cussler at Jason.email@example.com
Ninh Phan, Academic Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lara Christley, Academic Advisor, at email@example.com
The best way to get in touch of your instructor is via email. If you are a student and needs to meet your instructor in person, check your syllabus for office hours. Jennifer Stauffer, Carroll Barnes and Jason Cussler’s offices are located in the Management building.
Common Course Outlines
Gainful employment reports